Commemorated on September 22
The Monk Jona of
Yashezersk was born in the village of Shoksha, 16 versts from the monastery
afterwards established by him. The beginning of the monastery took place in
1580, when a wooden church was built in honour of the Annunciation of the
Most Holy Mother of God, and eight monks joined together with the monk for their
joint ascetic deeds.
The Monk Jona toiled
with great concern over the building up of the monastery. Thus for example, in
order to ease the catching of fish, he himself dug across a channel-ditch from
Yashozero to the nearby Lake Senno. He often rode atop horseback along the
solitary paths of the forest in search of necessities for the monastery. The
ascetic made vessels from wood for use at the time of Divine services. In time
the monk became known for his holy life far beyond the bounds of the monastery.
Many pilgrims brought in gift things, among which also were Church service
books. The boundaries of the monastery expanded, and the number of churches
increased. Profound love and reverence were had towards the ascetic by the
Novgorod Metropolitan Isidor, by the hegumen of the Solovetsk monastery Jakov
and the Monk Irinarch (Comm. 17 July), and likewise by many other
The Monk Jona died at
the end of the XVI Century and was buried in the Annunciation monastery founded
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.