The Monk Diodor of Yur'egorsk
Commemorated on November 20
The Monk Diodor of Yur'egorsk (Damian), was born in the village of Turchasovo at the River Onega. His parents – Jerothei and Maria – named their son Diomid. As a fifteen year old youth he set out on pilgrimage to the Solovetsk monastery, and then remained there as a novice. And there at age 19 he received monastic tonsure under the hegumen Antonii, he lived with the hermits on desolate islands, and then he settled at Lake Vodla. He spent seven year there with his student Prokhor. Resolving to found a monastery in the Name of the Most Holy Trinity on Mount Yur'ev, the monk set out to Moscow, where he received approval from tsar Mikhail Feodorovich (1613-1645) and also money for the building of the monastery from the mother of the tsar, the nun and eldress Martha. Somewhat before his death the Monk Diodor was obliged on monastery matters to journey to Kargopol'. Taking leave of the brethren, he predicted his impending death. He died and was buried at Kargopol' (+ 27 November 1633). After two years his undecayed body was transferred to the Trinity monastery and buried at the south wall of the cathedral church. The memory of the Monk Diodor is celebrated on 20 November out of deference to the feastday of the Znamenie-Sign Icon of the Mother of God, with which his repose co-incides.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.