The Transfer of the Relics of the Monk Ephrem of Perekomsk
Commemorated on May 16, September 26
The Monk Ephrem of
Perekomsk, Novgorod, was born on 20 September 1412 in the city of Kashin.
In Holy Baptism he was named Evstaphii. His parents, Stefan and Anna, lived not
far from the Kashinsk women's monastery named in honour of the Uspenie
(Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God. Drawn towards the solitary life,
Evstaphii while still in his early years left his parental home and settled in
the Kalyazinsk monastery in the Name of the Most Holy Trinity. His parents
wanted their son to return home, but he himself in turn persuaded them to leave
the world and accept monasticism. They also afterwards finished their earthly
paths living as hermits. Having been at his monastery for three years,
Evstaphii through a miraculous revelation transferred over to the monastery of
the Monk Savva of Vishersk (Comm. 1 October), and it was there in 1437 that he
accepted tonsure with the name Ephrem. While in the monastery, the Monk Ephrem
received a revelation from the Lord, commanding him to withdraw to a desolate
place. Having received the blessing of the Monk Savva, in 1450 he went over to
Lake Il'men, at the mouth of the River Verenda, and on the banks of the River
Cherna he built a cell. After a certain while to the Monk Ephrem there came the
elder Foma (Thomas) with two monks, and they settled not far from his cell. And
from that time also there began to gather other hermits to the new monastery.
At their request the Monk Ephrem received the dignity of priest at Novgorod
from Sainted Evphymii (+ 1458, Comm. 11 March).
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.