Icon of the Mother of God "Semigorodnaya" (15th c.)

Commemorated on August 15

This wonderworking icon representing the Dormition of the Mother of God was written by the Venerable Dionysius the Deaf in the XV century. Brought by hermits from its monastery it was put into the parish church of the Semigorodny District, beyond the Dvinsk River. After the terrible plague that devastated the Vologda District in XV century, the church stood in desolation for about 150 years. In 1593, through a special vision, the Starets Julian, from the family of Beloozero noblemen, found the icon and constructed a monastery on the spot where the holy icon was found. Now the icon is in the Tupichev Monastery, Mogilev Diocese. The icon is celebrated on the day of the Descent of the Holy Spirit.

Close window