Commemorated on April 18
Evthymii, Antonii (Anthony) and Felix started their ascetic deeds in the
Karelian land in about the year 1410. The Monk Evthymii founded the Karelian
Nikolaev monastery. But scarcely had he succeeded in building a church in the
name of Saint Nicholas and several cells, when in 1419 Norwegians descended
upon the monastery, burnt the church and killed several of the monks. The Monk
Evthymii again set about construction.
Martha asked prayers at the monastery for her sons who died in 1418 (they were
the sons of the Novgorod posadnitsa-mayoress Martha's first husband, Philip
Vasil'evich). Exploring their land, the young brothers perished at the mouth of
the North Dvina River, and they were buried at the Karelian Nikolaev monastery.
In life they were distinguished for their works of charity. In the manuscripts
of the Saints of the Karelian monastery their names were entered into the ranks
of the Saints. Over the graves of the holy brothers was built a chapel, and in
the year 1719 – a church in honour of the Meeting (Sretenie) of the Lord. The
Monk Evthymii was glorified by his apostolic labours in the enlightening of the
Karelian peoples. He died in the year 1435, and in 1647 his relics were
uncovered. There is a service to the Monks Evthymii, Antonii and Felix. The
memory of the monk Evthymii in the "Iconographic Originals" is placed
also under 20 January because of his name-in-common with the Monk
Euthymios the Great.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.